Re: Dead Iniridae

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Doug Brown wrote:

> I added pencilfish to my iniridae tank and all of the iniridae (4) died 2
> days later overnight. I'd like to get advice on preventing this in the
> future. Here are details.
>
> The iniridae had been in the tank for 2 months and were doing very well.
>
> I quarantined the pencilfish for 1 week. This isn't all that long but has
> worked fine for me in the past. The pencilfish were apparently perfectly
> healthy, and are still doing well to this day. When I went back to the
> store to see what I could find out they told me the pencilfish had just
> finished being treated with an antibiotic for a bacterial infection. Again,
> the water at the store was clear and the ones still there all looked
> perfectly healthy.
>
> I waited 2 weeks and the pencilfish were still doing fine so I moved my sp.
> "Emeralds" in with them and all of these fish have been doing well for 2
> weeks now.

Doug,

Weird that the emeralds were okay two weeks later.  I read that iniridae
and uapesi both are very sensitive to water conditions and diseases.
Perhaps that is it.

I usually isolate 3-6 weeks.  If anyone can remeber Dr Ruths talk from ACA
she had a recommended time for isolation.  If no one remembers I will pull
out the tape and look at it again.

Kathy