Re: Problem

> Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 23:25:13 -0400
> From: Mike Downey <windwalker@uky.campus.mci.net>
>
> I have a problem with treating my Pelvic. humilis. This is the third male
> with the same symptoms. The fish are very healthy and some were here almost
> one year before the problem starts. First there is a greyish white blotch
> on the skin of the face area and usually under the eye. This becomes a hole
> as if the skin and flesh melt or rot away.

Mike, it might be time to send a fish or some slides to a veterinary
pathology lab, especially one that specializes in aquaculture problems.
Often empirical treatment works, but it sounds like you've tried just
about everything.

There's a lab like this at the Ontario Veterinary College at the University
of Guelph, and I think there may be one at Cornell, too.  THere are doubtless
many of them elsewhere, associated with vet schools or aquaculture programs.
I don't know how much the service costs, but it might be worth it since you
keep losing these rare fish.  The lab should be able to tell you how to
prepare the specimens.  If they can identify and/or culture the pathogen,
they may be able to recommend an effective treatment.  At least you will
know what kind of pathogen you are dealing with and can work from there.