Re: Dividers and Spirulina

Doug Brown wrote:

> I have 2 pairs of apistos in a 55G tank and cleared out the middle with the
> idea that if one pair spawned I could put in a divider. The time is now!
> Does anyone use dividers?

No one makes a commercial divider for a 55 G tank. A 29H is the largest I've ever
seen. Its height is fine if you have gravel in your tank, but it's an inch too
narrow. I'd suggest you make your own.

> Any tips for building my own?

Get some plastic cross-stitch needlework cloth at a fabric store.  It's really
cheap and can easily be cut to size. You'll need to put some rigid bracing on all
four sides (it's more flexible than commercial dividers). Use some plastic end
strip, used to cover the edge of a piece of wall paneling, for this. Use some
large hair pins or paper clips to clip the ends to the sides of the tank .
Commercial side strips and clips are much superior, if you have them.

Needle cloth is wonderful as a bottom screen to separate egg scattering fish from
their eggs once they sink to the bottom.

> Also, Brine Shrimp Direct (thanks for that info Bill) sent me a sample of
> spirulina flakes with the BBS eggs. Do any of you feed the BBS spirulina
> (or any other supplements) and is it worth it?

The spirulina flakes are for your fish not the brine shrimp, right? I've tried
these flakes on apistos but mine prefer a meatier diet. They're great of mbunas
and other vegetarian fish.

Mike Wise