Re: Dividers and Spirulina

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Doug Brown wrote:

> Ah, I had a nice discussion with a Brine Shrimp Direct fellow. They sell
> wholesale to aquaculture people and just started the retail side of their
> business. Apparently BBS can be enriched some 30 hours after starting a
> batch (Instar II molt stage - whatever that is) with spirulina, as well as
> being raised to adults on it. For salt water fish they are enriched with
> unsaturated fatty acids as Rich mentioned.

Related note: I used to volunteer at The Seattle Aquarium, preparing food
for the local small saltwater fish.  Adult brine by themselves were not
nutritious enough, so just before we fed the fish we would "feed" the
brine shrimp a powdered mixture of spirulina, soy and possibly egg.  The
shrimps' bellies would turn green from this.  This was mostly because the
fish were too finicky to eat flake foods.  Sounds like the same deal, eh?

  - Erik

---
Erik D. Olson
erik at thekrib.com (fails? try eriko at wrq.com)