More leaf litter

I read many of the messages that were kicking around in the last few
weeks about leaf litter and decided to try some oak leaves in a tank
with a pair of wild-caught A. bitaeniatum "Tefe" that never seemed to
get comfortable in captivity.  Unfortunately, I don't remember seeing
any instructions/suggestions on preparing the leaves for the aquarium.

So far what I have done (by the time most of you get this message) is
that I have collected a shopping bag's worth of oak leaves from a nearby
park.  I chose leaves that were attached to branches that had fallen off
the tree for whatever reason because it made it a lot easier to identify
a large number a leaves instead of picking through individual leaves in
the refuse of a diverse forest area.  Also, I chose leaves that had been
dead long enough to turn brown and crispy.

I then boiled the leaves in a large pot for ten minutes.  The result is
that the leaves have become somewhat limp and the water looks and smells
like strong tea.  Here's where I would like some suggestions.  I'm going
to put the water that was boiled with the leaves into the new tank for
the fish.  I had boiled peat at one point and had good results from the
water off of the peat.  Also, I wanted to be sure that any organisms on
the leaves was killed, fungus and bacteria in particular.

Is this the "right" thing to do?  I'm wondering if perhaps there are any
toxins released by oak leaves when boiled or some other potentially
catostrophic effect that I don't know about.  Obviously I'm not going to
put any valuable fish (apistos) into the new tank before I get a little
feedback and see how the four red-eye tetras fare.

How do others on the list prepare leaves for use in aquaria?

Thanks much.

Andrew Blumhagen