Re: Mamore

mfjacobs wrote:

> Apisto folks........about a month ago I got some fish from Julio.  Great
> fish, but that's not what I'm asking about...;-)  My A. sp "Mamore Blue"
> spawned and there are about 30-40 wigglers.  Question...I also got a
> pair of "Mamore reds"....they were smaller and are just now coming up to
> breeding size, but will I get "Mamore Reds" from the "Mamore Blues" or
> are they seperate from one another or does anyone know
> yet?............great fish folks.

These are just color varieties of the same species, just like the many color
forms of A. agassizii. Mixing them will get you mixed color forms. Even not
mixing them you will probably get some that are more colorful than others. The
color strains haven't been fixed yet.

>  Very stately....very proud upfront
> fish!  How close to A. trifaciata are they.....has anyone decided yet?

They are an undescribed species belonging to the trifasciata-group along with A.
trifasciata and A. maciliensis.

> Second question.........It seems that A. veijita morph II (spelling?) is
> making somewhat of a comeback.  If a person gets what looks to be
> exactly what the books call V morph II.......and a spawn happens what
> percent of the young will look like the parents?  Reason for the
> question:  Two of my buddies came back from the ACA with picture perfect
> A. veij. morph II's .......young, but something you would die for!!!
> Now......another friend of mine came back from a trip and bought some
> supposedly A. veij. morph II's and quite frankly they were absolutly
> dissapointing. I would have paid serious money for the ones from the
> ACA, but quite frankly not really very much for the ones the second
> fellow brought back, and the second group were almost twice the size of
> the ones from the ACA...........and the ones from the ACA have already
> spawned, and we are wondering what percantage of the spawn will be the
> GOOD morph II males......10%...20%...70%...????

A lot depends on food and water conditions, as well as genetics. Quality fish
usually produce mostly quality fish but these colors aren't pure strains like in
domestic discus or angelfish. With more quality breeding (selecting only the best
for breeding stock) this strain will become fixed. It just takes time.

> Thanks folks
>
> Mike

Mike Wise