Re: List of Apistos

Ken Laidlaw wrote:

> > I'm continually updating my apisto species list. Presently it has 53 valid
> Do you use Sven Kullander's list as the basis, if not what
> is different on your's?

Yes, I use Dr. Kullander's list for the most part. Since his list is usually a bit
dated, I add to it. For example, the last time I checked he still had A. maciliensis as
a part of A. trifasciata. He now considers it a separate species, but the last time I
checked he hadn't changed it in his list. Let's face it, he has more important things
to do. I've also kept A. roraimae as a questionable valid species. Kullander has
subordinated it to a junior synonym of A. gibbiceps. I keep it as a questionably valid
species mainly because the upper Rio Branco form of A. gibbiceps (= A. roraimae) not
only has subtly different finnage and caudal fin pattern, but also is a much easier
fish to breed. A. gibbiceps is a true black water species while the A. roraimae form is
a clear water species. Is this enough to make them two different species? I'm not sure,
but until more data is available I'll leave it this way. Dr. Kullander's list doesn't
have any undescribed species on it (as should be expected). I try to keep up with all
the new undescribed species in the hobby, but in the past few years this is becoming
increasingly more difficult. There are simply too many popping up, so I restrict my
list to apistos that have been published somewhere in a book or magazine. This isn't
just a one man project, believe me! I depend on several of my friends to let me know
what's new in the European, Japanese, and American hobby. To them, they know who they
are, all I can say is "THANK YOU!"

> > by my realistic estimate there are at least 50 undescribed species out there, not
> > including 2 domestic and 1 natural hybrid species.
> Please tell us more about these.

I assume you mean the hybrid species. The undescribed species would take entirely too
long to discuss. As I mentioned in my original message, when I get it formatted
properly to send email ASG members can get it from me. As for the two domestic hybrids,
they are A. sp. Orangeflossen/Orange-fin and A. sp. Mariae. A. sp. Orangeflossen was
originally discussed by Schmettkamp (1982) in his book Die Zwergcichliden Südamerikas.
It appears to be a cross between A. bitaeniata & A. agassizii. There's a very ugly one
pictured in Linke & Staeck's book. A. sp. Mariae appears to be a cross between A.
commbrae and some other regani-group species. Römer discussed this fish in his 1995
article, Warnung vor Zwergcichlidenhybriden: Apistogramma sp. „Mariae" (D.A.T.Z. 41(1)
18-20). A. sp. Schuppenfleck/Scale-spot was introduced in Koslowski's book Die
Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt - Zwergcichliden. This appears to be a cross between two
macmasteri-group species, possibly A hoignei X A. guttata?. Koslowski believed it's a
domestic hybrid, but about 10 years ago I was given a pair and asked what they were. I
knew they were Schuppenfleck right away, but asked a lot of questions trying to find
out where they came from. I was told that a wholesaler received an entire shipment.
They had come in small, pale, hollow bellied, and breathing very hard and fast - all
the classic signs of wild caught apistos shipped to heavy. They had all the reported
signs of hybrid apistos - especially the irregular rows of scales, particularly on the
caudal peduncle. I had thoughts of trying to breed the pair but never did (Serious
illnesses & resulting financial crises put a crimp in anyone's hobby.). I still wonder
if I would have gotten anything out of the pair and what they would look like.

ASG members who are interested in the above references can get them from me (including
English translations).

Mike Wise