Re: List of Apistos

Jason,

I'm continually updating my apisto species list. Presently it has 53 valid
species (2 questionable) and 90 published, but scientifically undescribed,
species. I also know of about a half dozen other undescribed species, but won't
add them to my list until the names/pictures are published. You must realize that
many of the undescribed species are only color variants of other species. Still,
by my realistic estimate there are at least 50 undescribed species out there, not
including 2 domestic and 1 natural hybrid species.

The ASG plans to put this list on their web page sometime in the future. Right
now I'm trying to get it into a suitable format to send to them. The ASG used to
have a copy of the list once or twice each year in the Apisto Gram, but it has
grown so large (21 pages!) that it's impossible to publish in its entirety in the
journal. Size is due to the amount of information included for each fish: name,
original reference, species-group/complex, and distribution. There is also a list
of invalid apisto species, past common names for scientifically described
apistos, 1-1/2 pages of footnotes and a 3-1/2 page reference list. Once I get it
set up for emailing, ASG members can get it that way. I also have the same list
set up by species-group and species-compex as an aid to identifying your fish
after you've determined which group/complex it belongs to. This list compliments
a 7-step method for identifying virtually any apisto species out there. Once
they're formatted of emailing, they too will be available to ASG members.

The ASG web page has started out slowly, but we hope to have a more informative
page down the line, including photo references, species lists, member/non-member
Apisto-Emporiums, articles, and who knows even on-line seminars on various
aspects of dwarf cichlid ID, care, and breeding. These are only ideas right now.
Hopefully in a couple of years ...

Mike Wise