Re: Fish Clubs

Doug Brown wrote:

> Are fish clubs dying?

Ok, maybe this is sort of off-topic, but not quite as much as the funky
characters discussion (incidentally, they come through to this account,
but not to my account at work.  I don't know if it's my browser setup,
or the digest form, but either way, there are readers who don't get the
alt-whatever characters).

Anyway, about fish clubs.  Supposedly, this is a cultural phenomenon -
someone did a big study lately, to show that membership in bowling clubs
is on the wane, but more people are bowling than ever.  And that's
supposed to be true for other groups, too.  Presumably, that includes
fishkeeping.  Are more people keeping fish tanks?  Having said that, I'm
lucky enough to live in an area with a vibrant (or so it appears to me,
they at least get a regular crowd for their meetings, and their auctions
go late into the night) fish club, the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society.
This in a city that's known for its 12 and 14 hour workdays.

Enough with the off-topic.

Can someone tell me what conditions they're breeding taeniatus "wouri"
and "dehane" in?  The wouri still looks terrible in my tank, and is
starting to develop hole in the head.  Now there's even more urgency to
figuring out how to catch the darned fish.  The dehane has started to
behave the same way. (Hovering in the back of the tank, inactive, but
still with fairly good color.  That is, inactive until a net comes near,
when they go hide in the ambulia.)

The other west africans are still doing fine in the tank.  pH 7.5, GH/KH
around 6.  I'm thinking about going for a lower hardness.  I raised it
for my plants, and the fish mostly seem to be doing great, but this
makes me wonder.  Anyone?  Specific conditions that these fish prefer?

Alysoun