Fwd: RE: Peces Tropicales LTDA -Reply

>>They seem to have a good survival rate if plopped into soft acid
waters first.  I think the high mortality rates that many places experience
may be because the fish was put into water with a greater than 7 ph.
The ammonia ion takes a more toxic form in higher ph and may have
damaged the fish's gills.<<

This reminded me of an article I read a while back ago, written by John
Kuhns, the inventor of NovAqua.  It describes a method that he
prescribes and that is followed by at least one major hatchery, where
the bag water and tank water is dosed with NovAqua and AmQuel, and
the fish are "dumped" into the tanks immediately.

The reasoning behind the method is to reduce the ammonia immediately,
hence improve the fishes chance for survival.

The article on the web goes into a more detail explanation than I can give
here.  The URL is http://petsforum.com/aquascience/SQRT&DMP.HTML

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson