Re: Moving homes with an aquarium

I recently moved from N. C. to Texas, about 1400 miles with 4 tanks of large
cichlids and kribs and smaller community fish.  I only had one die on me,
one night when i put the coolers up and hooked up the filters, the largest
guy, a jack dempsey, took a header in the middle of the night.  I think i
stressed more about it than the fish did, altho the bag/cooler with the
larger cichlids did get a large ammonia spike.  Problem was all the
different waters i had to add, each seemed different/harder.  I tore down my
filters (i have over the back ones, about 5 of them now) and put the media
(all of it - bags, sponges, carbon, etc) into a rubbermaid with some tank
water and a battery operated air stone (cheap! but effective) that ran all
the time.  It used D cell batteries and lasted quite a few days running all
day long (at night i put the media back in the filters and the filters went
on the side of the styrofoam coolers).  I double bagged the fish and thank
goodness for that since 2 of the 3 cooler bags leaked.  We also moved during
the hottest time of the year, it was frequently at 100 F so i used freezer
bags of ice in the coolers with the fish and all around them to keep them
cool when we'd stop for lunch or other during the day.  Worked well with the
cat too - put ice bags under his towel in his carrier and on all sides and
top.  I also went to a home store and bought a couple of those digital
thermometers that tell you the outside temp and the inside temp.  Helped me
to monitor the temp.  SHouldn't be a problem now tho.  If you have any
questions, let me know.

kym
martndk@ibm.net