Re: Pelvicachromis taeniatus tips

Dujardin Colin wrote:

> Hi to the apistogramma mailing list.
>
>         I'm a newcomer here, living in France.
>         I recently had the chance to buy a couple of Pelvicachromis
> taeniatus Moliwe, captivity bred (eastern europe I think) of 3,5 cm for
> the male and 3 cm for the female ( which incidentally has blue eyes, a
> red belly but no horizontal black ray on the side as kym's P. Pulcher
> female). As in Linke's book but with red belly.
>

>         Are they really tougher to make spawn than usual kribs ?
>         Is the pH related sex ratio of 50% correctly goaled with a 6,2
> pH ?

> Thanks in anticipation,
> Moliwely your,
> Colin Dujardin : coenga@infonie.fr
Salut Colin,

Taeniatus Moliwe is harder than most aquarium strain pulcher to spawn,
but in my experience, easier than wild pulcher. I played a lot with
temperature and pH for even sex ratios. At pH 6.8 and 28 degrees I did
fairly well (60/40 in favour of males). Other pH ranges (to 7.4) seemed
to have no effect, but temp probably did. I ranged from 75 to 60 percent
males with mine. I didn't adjust softness, as my tapwater is at 140 ppm.
Bonne chance,
Gary