Re: newbie needs help

poppy@mcione.com writes:

>  Why is the water cloudy?

Probably the dust from the gravel.  It may be an "infusoria bloom", but that
generally doesn't happen in new setups.  I have seen it in new tanks once or
twice though.  PRetty meaningless all the way around.

>      How do I uncloud it?

Wait it out.  I can't think that it is a problem, though

>      How do you prepare peat for the Aquaclear filter?

Boil it for fifteen minutes, then drain it and insert it in the filter.  I
like to stuff it into an old nylon so it doesn't end up all over the place.

>      How much peat are you to put in the filter?

That's a tough question with no solid answer.  It depends on the type and
quality of the peat, and how much room you have in the filter.  Too much will
not be a problem, and generosity in this aspect will just make it last longer.

>      How often are you supposed to change the peat?

When testing the water shows that it is no longer doing the job.

>      Should the peat be in a sack or piled loosly in the filter?

See above.  Loose is okay, but it makes a mess.

>      Will I be able to put the Curvicep, Ram and the A. Nijenssi in the same
> 20 gal?
If it has lots of rocks, pots shards, plants and other natural obstructions in
it.

>       Are there rocks that could possible raise the ph?

Lots of them.  That would be my first guess as to what is raising the pH and
hardness.  Limestone, seashells, coral(read:crushed coral gravel), dolomite.
The list goes on and on.  Test it with muriatic acid.  Put the rock in a glass
bowl or jar.  Add acid to the container(This is smelly, noxious, dangerous
stuff.  Use rubber gloves and have a window open).  If it bubbles, don't put
it in the tank.

>      Should I do a water change in the new uncycled tank?

No.  You should put a couple fish in it though.  The "cycle" requires the
input of ammonia to the tank, and fish are a good place to get it.

>      What is that cashmere sweater lint looking stuff on my driftwood and
> plants?

It shows up a lot.  I'm not sure what it is, but a bristlenose or other large
pleco will eliminate it.  It shows up where the wood is not properly aged, and
even sometimes when it is.  Use the pleco to cycle the tank and kill two birds
with one stone.  But don't leave him in there oncespawning starts.  He will
eat the eggs.

>      How do you convert the amount of drops you use to the hardness test kit
> to ppm?

Read the instructions with the kit.  they are all different.  Some give 10ppm
for every drop required.  Others read one degree of hardness per drop.  One
degree is somewhere between 17 and 18 ppm depending on whether it is German
degrees or some other standard.  Degrees is very confusing.

>      RO systems supposedly do not work on hard well water, what other
> recourse do I have for my water source?

It's not that it doesn't work, it just wears out the membranes faster.  Not
because it is from a well, but just because it is hard, and therefore contains
more of the stuff you are trying to reduce.  As I understand it, a larger
percentage of the water will be dischaged as waste water.  You also might look
into deionizers, but again, the harder the original source water, the faster
the exchange medium needs replacing.  Be careful not to use a DI system that
simply exchanges your calcium and magnesium ions for sodium.  There are units
out there that will replace them with hydrogen ions.

Bob Dixon