Re: Nematodes and microworms

Andrew writes:

> Is it possible for an adult fish to become infected with microworms?  <snip>

Microworms feed on yeast.  There is not enough yeast in your fish to sustain
them.  If they were the same as nematodes, people would not be feeding them to
their fish

<snip>>  The main reason I ask is because I have a tank which once held fry
that
>  were fed microworms.  Since then, I have seen some half inch long, very
>  narrow, white worms swimming in the tank.  I want to put another pair of
>  fish in the tank to breed but am concerned that they'll become infected
>  with these worms.

These worms are too large to be microworms.  I have had them too.  They tend
to stick on the glass a lot.  I have seen some gouramies eat them, but other
than that, they seem to have no effect on the tank.  I have come to associate
the appearance of these worms with overfeeding,  They won't hurt your fish.
Controlling food levels and continuous monitoring of water conditions will
reduce them to nothing.  I think they are introduced in the egg stage with
flake foods but I am not sure.

Bob Dixon