Re: Mazarunia

>i'm surprised that the recent discussion on this list does not include this
>genera as a dwarf cichlid.  why is that?  why is Cleithracara maroni, a
medium
>size (over 7"), considered borderline but not Mazarunia which is less than
4"
>long?
>
>also, is anyone keeping this fish?

YOWZA! A 7-inch Keyhole?!

I wannit!

Actually Keyholes are smaller than that.  Geezers occasionally get 5 maybe 6
inches.
The reason they are probably included in the ASG menu is that these fish
have a real complex - they think they are only 2 inches long.  They are one
of the most 'well-behaved' cichlids around.

Mazarunia made it to Europe a couple of years ago and Willem Heijns in
Holland was trying to breed them.  Dont know if he was successful.  They are
supposed to be small and "not too aggressive".  I dont think they are found
in the North American hobby.  Most collecting efforts in  Guyana are
centered around Georgetown and since this fish has an extremely limited
distribution in western Guyana, it is unlikely to make it back into the
hobby unless one of us went down there ourselves.  Hmmm...

Vinny
vkutty@prodigy.net
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/