Re: Low pH nitrification

In a message dated 10/19/98 6:32:08 PM,

<<et me get this straight, nitrate spontaneously arises in our low pH
>  aquariums, kinda like maggots from meat, well I'll be damned.  Where's
>  Mark Weiss?  Any Microbiologists on board? Some bacteria is doing
>  something to convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate regardless of pH.  I
>  have seen it, proven it and could care less what some fossil wrote in a
>  book.>>

The bacteria involved in the "typical" nitrogen cycle operate under the same
principle as our fish, the ammonium ion NH4+ does not pass the cell membrane.
Thus it does not affect our fish, likewise, it is not available to be
converted to nitrite.  However, as some have pointed out, other bacterial
species have been implicated in aquatic nitrogen cycle.  Depending on their
micro/bio-chemistry they may have a mechanism for taking up the ammonium ion,
and therefore the nitrogen cycle could take place.  I don't normally test my
water, our water out of the tap is sufficient for maintenance of almost any
soft water species, peat filtration works well for spawning.  My point is, I
haven't tested to see if I have nitrate or NH4+ in my acid pH tanks.  In terms
of practical maintanence, small, regular water changes are called for under
either situation.
I don't know if this is of any help, or if anyone is interested.  It does seem
that for such an esoteric topic, that there seems to be an excess of emotion.
Jeff
WndrKdnomo@aol.com