Re: Low pH nitrification

Howdy,

>  The bacteria involved in the "typical" nitrogen cycle operate under the
>  same principle as our fish, the ammonium ion NH4+ does not pass the
>  cell membrane.  Thus it does not affect our fish, likewise, it is not

Do you have a reference which proves this is true for all bacteria, bar
none?

>  species, peat filtration works well for spawning.  My point is, I
>  haven't tested to see if I have nitrate or NH4+ in my acid pH tanks.
>  In terms of practical maintanence, small, regular water changes are
>  called for under either situation.  I don't know if this is of any
>  help, or if anyone is interested.  It does seem that for such an
>  esoteric topic, that there seems to be an excess of emotion.  Jeff

There is an "excess of emotion" because some people are suggesting that
filtration isn't necessary in low pH systems as there are no bacteria
that can process the Ammonia to start the nitrification cycle, and no
fish is bothered by Ammonia in low pH.  The latter is partly true, and
the former is dead wrong.

				Cheers,
				Matthew