Re: AAAAhqualog

I assume you mean S03435-3, A. sp. Blue-head. This is a fish I've never seen or
heard of in any other publication. The male has the heavy lips and spotted, open
lyretail typical of cacatuoides-complex species. The black patches on the upper &
lower base of the tail are typical of A. luelingi, so is  the spot pattern on the
tail. The dorsal fin doesn't show the extended "Indian war bonnet" anterior
lappets, and the anal fin appears to have only 3 anal spines (A. luelingi usually
has 4). It's probably a species closely related to A. luelingi. The collecting
locality, Rio Apeo, is a river unknown even to Marco Lacerda so this is either a
misspelling or something worse. There is a Rio Apeu on the eastern coast of
Brazil, but there are no cacatuoides-complex fish within a thousand miles of this
location. If anyone has any information on this fish, please let me know.

This isn't the mis-ID'd fish, however. Any other guesses?

Mike Wise