Re: P. taeniatus "lobe" rapid breathing

George,

Two possibilities come to mind. One is a nasty little gill paracite called
Epistylus. They collect on the gill filaments and suck blood from them. When too
many cover the gills its like asthma in humans. A malachite green treatment or
any of the fluke killers will get rid of them. The other possibility is that the
gills were badly ammonia burned in shipment. These chemical burns literally etch
the filaments off the gills making it harder for the fish to breathe. If this is
the problem, only time and super clean conditions will cure the problem. Ammonia
burns are not usually found just on a single specimen, however, but throughout
the whole shipment.

Mike Wise