Re: Rams de-selection

Hi folks,
I haven't been following this thread too closely, but that never stops me
from butting in...
Parental care behavior in fish is an instinctive trait, fry do not learn to
become parents from being parented themselves. Those that think this is the
case (i.e. parental care is learned) are projecting their human experience
onto their fish. Parental fish eat spawns when they feel the brood is
doomed- perhaps too much activity around the tank or within the tank has
convinced them a predator is omnipresent. Some fish are poor parents, some
taxa are notorious for eating spawns (notably Crenicara, Laetecara,
Microgeophagous)- these all spawn out in the open and perhaps are naturally
more prone to egg predation and that much more prone to eating their eggs
when they feel threatened. In any case, a fish raised away from its parents
has just as much likelihood of becoming a good parent. One option, if you
want to have your fish raised by fish parents- consider using another fish
(e.g. maternal Apisto. w/fry) as a foster parent. I have done this on
numerous occasions and it generally always works (kinda cool too!) if the
fry are roughly the same size as the female's own progeny. Best
- Steve