Re: foam/sponge & ug

> Is putting a foam/sponge layer between the gravel and ug filter a good
> idea?  Seems to me that you would get a lot of detritus caught in the
> foam/sponge - which would  be difficult to clean and could eventually
> impede your flow.
I have done this in the past. I added the filter medium (one side white
the other blue) and placed sand on top. I did this to have the smaller
medium without having to worry about the sand falling through the slats
of the UG filter. It didn't impeded the filtration. It acted like the
gravel does. Since it was down closes to the plate, there are organisms
that live there and work on keeping the tank clean as well as in your
gravel.

Kaycy

http://www.calweb.com/users/d/djhanson/index.htm