Re: species flock -Reply -Reply

>>does this mean that Lake Malawi was split up and then fused again to
form one continous body of water?<<

Good question.  I do know that at least Lake Malawi or Lake Tanganyika
did recede to form two separate lakes then fill up to be a single body of
water.  I'm pretty sure it was Malawi but it could have been the other or
both.  I read it in a book by Ad Konning.

To carry the analogy to SA and Apistos, I know that the SA continent
has had large lakes and seas recede as well as different rivers altering
courses.  These geological events could produce "flocks" similar to the
African cichlids.  Even for Apisto species that currently are not part of
the same river courses.

Again, this would be a yfascinating graduate study topic for any
students lurking on the list.  hint. hint. ;-)

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson