Re: Re surrogate mothers

>Just an observasion I'd like to share...
>It's interesting that the cruzi fry understand the pertensis females'
>instructions. The females of the two species look very different,
especially
>in brood colouration, so It seems to me that the brood colours are
displayed
>to other adults, and it's actually the fin twitching etc. that the fry
respond
>to. Maybe it's a language that all apistos understand, regardless of
species.
>Jason

That's interesting observation, Jason.  Fin twitching is found in a lot of
cichlid species.  Females seem to do it more often than males.  I have a
week old swarm of Laetacara sp. Orange fin and the female is twitching like
crazy.  West African Hemichromis elongatus do it too.  Appears like it is
the cichlid equivalent of 'Hey! Get your butts back here!'

Vinny
vkutty@prodigy.net
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/