From: J Miller [mailto:jkmiller@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca]
Sent: Monday, November 16, 1998 9:54 AM
To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
Subject: Mean Female

 IN my twenty gal  I now have two rotpunkt - one female and one male
(juvenile colors).  I did have a dominant male, but the died.  I thought
that they had spawned because the female was bright yellow, and she was
chasing the two males and the tetras away from *her* rock pile (used to be
the dominant male's).  I took the dominant male out because he was taking
the brunt of the attack, but died about four days later.

 Anyway, on to my question... There are no young in the tank, but the female
is still in breeding colors and keeps casing the remaining male to the edge
of the tank.  Is there a way to stop her from beating on the male?

 I no longer have the tetras in the tank, but there are two large (~4')
bronze corys and three small (~1') midnight corys in there.  Also, I have a
clown pleco and a bristlenose pleco in there. The tank is planted with lots
of rock and wood work to form many caves.

 I have five cocatoides (three males two females) in another tank and was
wondering if I should put one on the males in wit the rotpunkt to diffuse
the
female's aggression.  Would I have to worry about interbreeding between the
two species?

 I also thought that I could take the male out and let him mature, then put
him back in the tank and hopefully they'd spawn.  Maybe I should do it the
other way around - remove the female?

 Thanks in advance for the help!

Jason Miller
Sherwood Park, Alberta