Re: question on rams

Helen Burns wrote:

> Good news you have both sexes.  I have found that males have one black spot
> whereas the females have a broken spot which gves the impression of having
> two black spots.
> Helen.
>
> From: K & D martin <martndk@ibm.net>
> >Ok, i've noticed that on a couple of my micro. altispinossas that they have
> >two spots along the lateral line (line that runs down the middle of their
> >bodies horizontally, right? or where one would be if you could see it) and
> >the others only have a small black spot or a big black spot.  what does
> this
> >signify??anything?

I'm not so sure it is such a clear case of sexual dimorphism. I have
both males and females that behaviourally express a single mid-lateral
blotch when not spawning. However, the same fish express a broken
blotch, giving the appearance of two blotches, when breeding. I think,
to a large extent, that the mid-lateral blotch is behaviourally
expressive - its appearance depends on 'mood'.

Hope that helps.

Lee