Re: P.taeniatus "Cross River"

Geo/Len wrote:

> Good evening
>
> I  have a young adult pair of   P.taeniatus  "Cross River"    What PH,
> water hardness , temp., etc,  do I have to have, to get them to spawn???
>
> Thanks
>
> George
I've never tried to breed taeniatus Cross River, but Chromidotilapia
guntheri and Thysochromis ansorgii Cross River spawned for me at pH6.8,
in moderately soft warm water. Taenies are pickier and probably need
what P. sp 'sacrimontis' Cross River seem to need: soft, fairly acid
water.
I'd try a pH around 6, as soft as you can keep stable, peat filtration
and 26-27 degrees, but that's just a guess.
There are nice fish in that system. I brought home five mixers from the
original Cross river shipment to Canada. They turned out to be five
savage little male cichlids, but they were a lovely small violet
coloured fish that looked a bit like a Parananochromis and a bit like a
Pelvicachromis subocellatus. In a year, they grew to 8-9 cm.  They
murdered each other, and most everything else they met, but they were
pretty enough they'd be worth learning to keep if they ever come in
again.
There's still a whole lot out there we've never seen.
-Gary