Re: humilis

Piabinha@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-11-27 23:01:32 EST, windwalker writes:
>
> << humilis, that is quite a name and reputation to hang on these little guys!
> >>

> i have never kept Pelvicachromis humilis (west african) but i think the name
> humilis refers to their less-than-knockout colors (compared to other
> Pelvicachromis).
>
> tsuh yang

Hi Tsuh Yang and everyone,
Mike and I suffer from a liking for the form and colours of P. humilis -
I'd go on the limb and say a real liking. Many of the recently
discovered forms of this fish are knockouts. What we've been discussing
off list (sorry to slip in a reference on list) is that they can be
really nasty animals. The males are quite brutal at times. It's one of
those situations where you get a lovely, expensive pair of fish, give
them a big tank, and watch a slaughter. As an experienced cichlid
keeper, you try again differently. After a few disasters with pairs, I
went and got six juveniles, raised them together so they'd pair off, and
... discovered a slaughter. I kept a pair of Liberian red humilis alive
together for 1 1/2 years - the only time in 5 humilis attempts there
were no murders. That pair died natural deaths without spawning!
Without very large tanks, my keeping of humilis has been like when I
smoked. I knew what was probably going to happen, but I kept doing it.
Now, I haven't had a smoke for 8 years and I haven't kept a humilis for
2 months! In fact, I walked by a tankful last week - beautiful Guinea
humilis, yellow and red and purple - a morph I'd never tried. I looked,
I admired, I left. I'm proud...
I've had the same poor luck with atahulpa, although I gave up after two
tries. From now on, if for some strange reason I want to see carnage,
I'll watch cartoons.
-Gary