Re: A.ortmanni

George,

A. ortmanni isn't especially common in the hobby because it is found from the
eastern Venezuela/Guyana border to Surinam. This region is a hot bed for aquarium
fish exports, at least not like it was in the 60s and 70s.

A. ortmanni is a member of the regani-group (regani-complex) and is very similar
to A. regani.  A. ortmanni is slightly more slender bodied than A. regani. Both
species tend to show their vertical bars most of the time and both have abdominal
stripes and a barred tail fin. Those of A. regani are more conspicuous. The bars
on A. ortmanni's tail fin are typically more faint and don't extend to the outer
edges of the tail fin. The major difference between the two is that A. ortmanni
has an oval caudal peduncle spot that covers 2/3 of the height of the caudal
peduncle, while A. regani as a caudal peduncle stripe that crosses the entire
height of the caudal peduncle. Koslowski's book (Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt -
Zwergcichliden, p. 76-77) shows two excellent photos of this fish, plus one of A.
regani for comparison. Schaefer's book (Erfolg mit Zwergcichliden, p. 41) has
photos of the same two species plus A. gossei that you can compare, too. The
photos of A. ortmanni in the Aqualog book, p.54, are questionable at best. They
may all be photos of A. ortmanni, but are definitely not good examples of this
species. The top photos (row 2, right, S03755-3; row 3, S03755-4) looks more like
A. gossei to me (no tail bands). The bottom photo of A. cf. ortmanni (row 4,
left, S03760-4) looks more like the true A. ortmanni, but I don't see any banding
on the tail. Even the line drawing of A. ortmanni in Linke & Staeck's book isn't
accurate because it shows the c.p. spot as a stripe like in A. regani.  Richter's
book, (Complete Book of Dwarf Cichlids, p. 115) has a photo of A. ortmanni, too.
Unfortunately it shows a male in broadside display colors, so the vertical bars
and abdominal stripes aren't visible. Compare the caudal peduncle spot with that
of the two photos of A. regani below it. Probably the most recently published
photo of A. ortmanni can be found in Mayland & Bork's book (p. 99 in the English
version). It accurately shows the c.p. spot (rounder than in other photos) and
tail bands.

A. ortmanni is not a true black water species, but can be found in clear water
streams. It should be easier to breed than the black water A. regani. Still it
would be best to start with soft (<5º dGH), acid (~pH 6.0) water.

Hope this helps.

Mike Wise