Re: A. norberti "Sunset" (was Apistos)

Jota Melgar wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
> > in a possibly related issue a LFS got in a group of young A.
> >norberti "Sunset" today.  I had previously thought that A. Sunset was a
> >trifasciata like fish.
>
> A. norberti "Sunset", A. sp. "Sunset", and A. atahualpa are all the same
> species. When they were first discovered they were being exported as
> norberti "Sunset" and a few exporters still go by that name. I remember
> hearing that they were in the nijsseni complex of the cacatuoides group.
> I'd like to hear the reason for placing it in the nijsseni complex if
> anyone cares to explain.

Julio,

I think Uwe placed it in the nijsseni-subcomplex because it is so closely related
to A. norberti. A. norberti is commonly placed in the nijsseni-subcomplex because
it normally has a round caudal fin with a dark and light (not orange) rim along
the edge.  All members of the cacatuoides-subcomplex have banded lyreate tails.
Personally, I look at A. atahualpa & A. norberti as being bridge species
intermediate between the two subcomplexes, since they exhibit features
characteristic of both. Both A. atahualpa & A. norberti have abdominal stripes,
diagnostic of the cacatuoides-subcomplex. Both have the extended anterior dorsal
fin lappets found on all cacatuoides-subcomplex, but only one nijsseni-subcomplex
species (A. payaminonis). A. norberti has a unique tail pattern that combines
features of both sub-complexes - caudal bands (cacatuoides) and dark & light
rimmed edge (nijsseni). A. atahualpa is unique in its own way, too. It's the only
member of the cacatuoides-complex that has no pattern at all. Both species can
develop short lyre tails on exceptional specimens. This tail form is only seen in
cacatuoides-subcomplex species. A. payaminonis' is squared off not lyre tailed.

Mike Wise