Re: A. juruensis

Jason,

I was hoping someone else might answer this question. I know I can't answer this
question to my satisfaction, but here goes.

There is very little visible difference between the two. When David Soares first
got these fish he ID'd them as A. juruensis because at the time there was only
one cacatuoides-complex species that had a caudal peduncle spot separating the
lateral band from the tail. I would have done the same and actually did when he
asked me to verify his ID. Römer concurred this ID and everyone accepted it until
collection data came in. It was reported to come from around Pucallpa and more
recently from the Rio Nanay, both on the left (west) bank of the Rio Ucayali, the
major tributary of the Peruvian Amazon. The type locality of A. juruensis is the
upper Rio Juruá, a major southern tributary of the Brazilian Amazon (Rio
Solomões) in western Brazil. Now the question was, "Is Soares' & Römer's fish the
same species as A. juruensis but now with a much wider distribution, or a
completely different species?" Preserved specimens were sent to Dr. Kullander who
identified them as not being A. juruensis, but a species showing close affinities
to it, thus the name A. sp. aff. juruensis.

The question of how to tell live specimens apart is a good one. We know that A.
sp. aff. juruensis has a yellowish streak above the lateral band, but I don't
know how this differs from the true A. juruensis. I've never seen anything
written on the live coloration of the true A. juruensis. I don't even know if
it's ever been in the hobby. Heiko Bleher collected in the upper & middle Rio
Juruá in 1997, but I never heard of him collecting this species (other apistos,
yes, but not this species).

If anyone has additional information or comments on this topic, I would like to
hear about it.

Mike Wise