Re: Fish articles, was Re: Apistogramma sp. Schwarzsaum -Reply

>>I do see a lot of articulate people on this list who should sit down and
structure something for readers who aren't on-line. The more voices, the
more we all learn.<<

Here!  Here!

First, I would further encourage those who may feel intimidated because
of their perceived lack of experience or knowledge to jump in and write
as well.

I wrote my first article for the GCCA magazine/newsletter, Cichlid
Chatter, about a disastrous scenario I ran into when a pair of Angelfish I
had bred.  I made some stupid, inexperienced mistakes and ran into some
bad luck too.  It was not your typical "expert" article, but it was well
received and may help other inexperienced breeders down the road.

Second, regarding sharing web knowledge to the un-connected, a year
ago there was a great thread going simultaneously on two lists about
supplementing BBS with vitamins.  I took it upon myself to compile the
quotes and follow up with a couple of the experts for clarification.  I did it
in part as a way for me to keep a personal record of the information but
also with the intent of submitting it for publication.  I have submitted it to
the GCCA and to JAKA (Journal of the American Killifish Association).  It
has not been published by either yet, although they both intend to do so
(JAKA has a six month backlog of articles!).

Again, I'm not an expert in the field but I don't think that's absolutely
necessary.  In the first example, I writing as a newbie to the hobby, an
important point of view for many readers.  In the second, I was acting
more as an editor, compiling the data from different experts.

My next writing project is to document the construction of my
mini-fishroom this winter.  I plan on taking photos at different stages of
construction to photo-document the process.  I have collected many
different opinions on fishrooms, which I also intend to introduce, even if I
don't or can't incorporate them into my design.  So don't be surprised
latter in the winter if you see a post from me soliciting ideas (or begging
for help <g>).

BTW, both of the above articles are on my web site under Tropical
Fish|Resources.  See my sig line for the URL  Anyone interested in
reprinting for their own club publications may do so ass long as you
simply ask before hand and send me a complimentary copy of the
publication in which it appears.

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson