Re: A. agassizi females

Hi Helen,

I agree on the species tanks but colour morphs are the same
species.  These fish may already be "mongrel" specimens
that just happen to have been tagged red or blue depending
on the colour of the caudal.

>From the Apisto list archive on Erik's page written by Pete
Johnson comes the following information by Uwe Romer on Aga
colours
"No, the agassizii are just what we brought
back from Peru -- they're blue aggies, though some seemed to show other
colors as they grew out. Interestingly, Uwe Romer, a German apisto expert
who just spoke to the ACA in New Orleans, says that if you breed wild
aggies, regardless of whether they're blue, yellow or red, the offspring
will show all the color varieties."

Given enough tanks I agree with you  that keeping colour
forms separate is best but I think it is acceptable if tank
space is a problem and you need a new fish to keep your
colony going or need to introduce unrelated blood.

Ken.