Re: Hydra and copper

lewis weil wrote:

> <snip>Then you get a 9v battery
> and two lengths of copper wiring. put the wires on the + - input and
> outputs. Place the wire in the tank and the hydra should quickly begin
>
> dying. You may want to take the fish out.

Especially if you do not know their tolerance to the copper treatment.

> I have heard people have had
> great success with this.<snip>

Definitely takes the hydra out...the fresher the battery the faster the
results...the bigger the battery the quicker the reaction.
This method has worked for me with a couple of fish (have not had to try
it with Apistos)...but the rainbows died within an hour of the start of
the treatment...the gudgeons took a few days to die and after just 20
minutes of exposure...B. splendens had no problems...no amount of water
change will reverse the damage. I still use the copper method, but just
on empty tanks and equipment.
I'm beginning to like the hydra (sure).
Take precautions.
Good luck,