Re: red tail Rio Xingu

Jason,
I have had success with this species from wild caught and and presently from
F1 pair.
Temp 79F    pH 6.-6.5    Tank 12in x 12in x 12in.
Double sponge filter.  Java moss and fern, bogwood.
Three small inverted clay pots with drainage holes enlarged.
I have fry still in this tank at the age of 4 weeks, with parents.  I
noticed this afternoon that the female is about to spawn again.  I intend
tomorrow while carrying out the water change removing the current fry to
their own tank.
I feed the adults frozen bloodworm, whiteworms, tetra prima, adult live b.s.
Doesn't seem that much different from what you are doing, just be patient.
Helen