Re: red tail Rio Xingu

Jason,

I got this species from Marco Lacerda at the 1997 ACA Convention in Chicago. They
spawned for me within a month of getting them home under conditions similar to
Helen's. I, too, find the female an exceptional parent, even to having two spawns
in the same tank (18X16X10 in.) at the same time. Marco & I have an article on
this species coming out soon in the Buntbarsche Bulletin.

One thing I would definitely change is feeding black worms. No matter what people
claim, they are a tubificid worm that needs an organic rich environment to live
in. There is always a chance of bringing in diseases since they can't be totally
cleaned out. I can't tell you the number of times I've had people call or write
me about their apistos coming down with something nasty after feeding black
worms. There are so many other good live foods out there. No one needs red or
black tubifex. I'd substitute chopped earthworms or white/grindal worms for them.
They may take a little more effort to cultivate, but in the long run they are a
whole lot less expensive to feed and a lot safer for your fish.