Sex change

Hi everyone,

I just got bizarre experience with sex change in A.cruzi.. Of many fry i
got from my trio, most were males, females I got i gave to friends, and
shop refused to take the rest because they want of course pairs. Now I
stuck with 2 tanks loaded with fry. One had about 20 males, second had
just too small fry to tell.

Well, now the story. 3 weeks ago I was rearranging my tanks and decided
to dump several A.cruzi males in the show tank there I intended to breed
A. steinachneri.. Just for bioload or diters.. I put 5 of them, about 1
to 1 1/3 inch long, 4-5 month old males.. Well, now they ALL turned females.
Black ventrals, round dorsal, yellow color.. I put in their father.. they
spawned today.. I know I had some problems with sex determination before,
but about a month before rearrangement of tanks, Kathy was here.. She took
the last female I had in that tank and may share her impressions about
the rest of fishies in the tank - they WERE males, and the rest still
ARE. I can not think of any differences between two tanks - both are RO
water filled, and I may take some more pains to clean the show tank. Only
point is - show tank has a regulated +29 C (84F), the other tank
fluctuates with RT (I turn off conditioner going to work, so it can be
significant some times).

As a supportive note, I transferred third of small fry from another
unheated tank to regulated one  and they all appear females to me, but
still too small. Here are only 2-4 females in two-third remaining at room
temperature (40-50 or so fishes).

Appear quite strange to me they can do it so late in life... But come see
them females..

BTW, if someone wants a breeding pair.. or some juveniles.. I will
exchange them for any apisto I do not have (I have cruzi and
steindachneri). I am in Houston, TX.

Happy New Year and Merry Christmas!

Lilia