Re: Fishroom Rack Plans for Comments/Suggestions

Hi Bill,

If you use decking material, make sure it was treated.  Organic Gardening did an
article a couple of years ago about treated wood.  The chemicals that leach out
over time in a damp or humid or wet environment are not fish friendly.  In this
matter, I would rather be safe than sorry and I would rather trust Organic
Gardening than (and I'm probably going to get nailed for this) the lumber yard.
Of course, I don't even have fly strips in my fish room and I use boric acid to
take care of ants.  In the past when I first returned from the Great Dismal Swamp
in Virginia, I learned how effective boric acid is in ridding one's home from
cockroaches.  I like your design.  A couple of questions:
1)  Have you thought about adding a fourth shelf? Either at the top or the bottom?

2)  I see so many names but are you on the NANFA list too?  If so, and you are
keeping or thinking about keeping natives, having a bottom row of tanks can be
helpful with fish needing a cooler temperature to be in good breeding behavior and
condition in the spring.  I do this with Xenotoca eiseni and some of my natives.
I got some Cyprinodon variagatus and F. majalis from Chris Graseck which I also
keep in my bottom row of tanks because they seem to need to get lower temperatures
for a while in order to get into breeding conditioning.  Take care and catch you
later.  Joe.