Re: Fishroom Rack Plans for Comments/Suggestions

I'm pasting in Bill's tank stand questions from his web site so I can offer my
opinions/ideas.

>1 What other material is possible for framing?  Is painted angle iron better,
worse or >really no different?

Angle iron is stronger per volume than wood, but will rust unless you can
either epoxy coat it or find a place that will powder coat it for you.  It can
give you more space between shelves.

>2 What decking material can be used instead of Plywood?

That works for me.  Flake board may be cheaper. (FLAKE, not particle)

>3 If plywood is used, how can it be sealed to prevent splitting of layers due
to humidity?

If you buy exterior grade plywood or flakeboard, like is used in roofing
andstuff like that.  It isn't likey to separate due to humidity.  But if you
want some extra protection, pait it with some kind of epoxy.  I'm particularly
in favor of marine grade spar varnish.

>4 I've planned 6" of clearance between the top of the tanks to the bottom of
the 2"x4" >framing material.  Plumbing and lighting will be recessed between
the framing members.  >So is 6" enough, too much or not enough?

If you make the upper shelves shorter from front to back, and lower ones
longer from front to back, it can simplify getting into the tank.

>5 Has anyone mixed flourecent and incadecent lighting?

In the old days of metal frame tanks, the larger tank lights came that way.

>6 Can floerecent be diassembled and the components installed to allow a bulb
in front >and another in the rear?  Or should individual components be
purchased for this purpose >instead?

Some really economical flourescent shop lights come unassembled.  You can toss
out the stuff you don't want and use the rest.  SOme lights come assembled,
but can be disected and "Frankensteined" into your own living breathing light
fixture.  Others cannot be disassembled effectively.  Shop with care.

>7 What is a good combination of number of bulbs and colors for lighting above
the tanks.

Loaded question.  You know how complicated that is because your on the Plant
list.  Most of the killie keepers I know keep them in the dark.

>8 Will the top shelf be too warm for worm cultures (my guess is yes)?

Dunno.  I leave this for someone else to handle.

Bob Dixon