Re: P. Taeniatus Moliwe qustion

>> Hello, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster here. Some of you
may recognize

>> me from the aquatic plants list, yep, that's the same me. I've kept
various apistos
>> for the
>
>last 5 years or so. Currently, I have a trio of P. Taeniatus Moliwes in
a 75 g planted
>aquarium,
>and that leads to my question. The 2 females are voracious eaters with
round, plump
>bellies.
>They cavort about the tank fearlessly, and attack most anything that is
fed to them.
>The male is
>very shy, hiding most of the time. He approaches food (frozen brine
shrimp, fz. blood
>worms, something
>fz. called "lifeline) like he could care less. I've seen him take
frozen blood worms,
>only to spit them
>right back out. Bottom line is this, I'm afraid I'm going to lose him
if I don't do
>something.
>What's wrong? What can I do?
>
>tank info:
>ph 7.0
>kh  8
>temp 79
>
>TIA, Pat Bowerman

I currently have a Moliwe pair and their 14 day old offspring in a 30 g
with otos and a few guppies for dithers.  My first male (the currnet
male's father) started behaving like this after he spawned for the first
time with the female.  I noticed the female beating up on him and
everything else, so maybe that's your problem.  my male eventually died
even after having the female moved when the babies grew up.  I have
really soft water (good old Vancouver tap water) ph 7.0 lots of tannins
in the water from bogwood and peat in the filter my temp is 76-77.
Hope this helps

Kevin