RE: some problems

Sorry about my earlier post. Not enough caffeine forgot to add my input.

Helen
My point is, Andrey's tank has a mix of species in it, besides the Labeo,
that will cause a problem for spawning rams. To include "catfishes and
loaches". I am not sure which catfish he has but any loach would be to much
for a pair of rams to hold off if intent on egg or young preditation. The
catfish to include Cory's can be (i.e. not always) problematic for rams to
defend against also. the catfishes and loaches would probably not bother the
rams any other time, and the Labeo would certainly learn not to attack them.
The best answer for him (as I stated earlier) is to move the rams into their
own tank. If he wants to retain most of his current population in this tank
and does desire Cichlids in the mix. Then a more robust species is called
for. In my opinion some of the mid sized central American and south American
cichlids are a perfect answer. Not all of them are subject to the
shortcomings you state. In fact any of the species I recommended would be a
good match for his tank, assuming the Rams are moved. And honestly the rams
should be worth a setup dedicated to them anyway. As far as "real aggression
(apart from Malawi's)" imho any species of fish if incorrectly housed can
have "REAL" problems with aggression. as point to case How many of us have
stories of one of our wards killing another because the weren't ready to
spawn and or couldn't escape after spawning? I do, A. Cuacatoides male in a
10 gal tank. I didn't rescue him after spawning quick enough and the female
killed him. My point about aggression is as follows, It's natural and they
all do it. so instead of "preventing it" recognized it, provide for it, and
manage it.