Re: Eunotus

Is it A. eunotus? I guess the best answer is yes and no. They are definitely a
eunotus-complex species. Both fish show the split bottom on Bar 6 (that's the 2nd
bar from the back, but doesn't include the caudal peduncle spot) that is
diagnostic for A. eunotus. But these fish have a spotted caudal fin. A. eunotus
does not. It definitely isn't A. steindachneri which has a species-diagnostic
flank patch (enlarged lateral spot) that extends well above the lateral band. A.
eunotus is a highly polymorphic species with deep- and narrow-bodied forms. There
are several different color forms, too, but all have unspotted tails. In many
respects it looks like a fish Julio Melgar brought back from Peru this year that
keys out closely to A. sp. Orangestreifen (Orange-stripes), but the caudal
peduncle spot on your fish is much larger and the vertical bars don't extend as
far into the dorsal fin. The fish it most closely resembles (and probably is) is
one Koslowski pictures in his book (middle, p. 85) and calls A. sp. aff. eunotus.
Brian Wolinski brought this fish to the U.S. in the late 80s and started breeding
& distributing them under this name. We aren't certain exactly where it comes
from. Brian couldn't remember where he collected them, but it was somewhere
outside of Iquitos, Peru.

Mike Wise