Re: A. cacatoides "Red-Flash"

George and Carol Richter wrote:

> I breed triple red cacatoides and am surprised at some of the comments
> and discussion of them I have seen in the Apisto Digest of late.
> Remember that these fish were "created" through selective breeding.  If
> you stop selecting, they revert to the wild coloration.  When I get a
> spawn one half to three quarters are true triple reds, the rest are
> mostly doubles, and a few I would not even term doubles.  The culls are
> often sold as doubles - which is what they are.
>
> You must select the "best" ones for the next generation.  If you expect
> them to breed true, you need a genetics text book.  They do not.  This
> is especially tough because the females are not so obvious in their
> colors. That's why they still are not very cheap.  Good triple red
> females will show quite a bit of red in their fins.  If the females have
> almost no red they are probably not triple or even double reds at all.
> Don't buy them.  Some folks will slip in some wild types.

As one of the critics, I have to back this one. The commercially
produced petshop selected reds have been a letdown to me, as genetics
textbooks or not, I've seen a few batches with wild-form females.
Commercial seemed to be the source the original posting was asking
about, and buyer beware is key advice.
To me, I hate to say, they're reds. Double or triple is something you
have to work at if you get good stock. Sorry to be imprecise. I should
have said the poster might have been better off trying to make contact
with a breeder.
-Gary
Ps - my little wild female/selected male form is still a beautiful fish.