Re: raising cichlids without their parents

Bob writes:
>I just lost the sixth spawn of my cacatuiodes from a pair
>that were parent-raised.  The male was pulled for his own safety.  The
female
>ate the fry as they hatched.  It dawned on me this moprning that her mother
>had moved the wrigglers as they hatched from the cave to an indent in a
piece
>of driftwood that had peice of slate over it, forming a "cave" with a solid
>bottom.  All the caves in her tank have gravel bottoms.  So this week I
will
>create some spots for the fry to get moved to, and try one more time.  Bad
>parents?  No, just bad husbandry on my part, until I can prove differently.

If the question of whether fish learn anything is not an issue, why bother?

I checked my original letter, the "crappy" word did not appear in it.  I
don't want that description ascribed to anything I have written.
 I do not want to keep my fish in the same manner as egg-laying hens are
kept.  Having fish spawn every 10 days or so, because their eggs are taken
away from them all the time,  puts a lot of stress on the fish.  It is
unnatural.  Yes, so is keeping them in an aquarium.  However, it is up to us
selfish humans to determine in what type of conditions fish or any other
captive creatures are kept.

More is not always better.  Jack Whattley  (I never brought his name into
this), has managed, as have many others, to breed amazingly coloured Discus.
However, keeping fish in sensory deprived, empty (except for water) glass
boxes for their entire lives leaves me cold.

Yes, and fish sent in massive shipments have a high mortality rate,
especially when they are sold for very low prices to people who haven't got
a clue as to how to take care of them.  (And yes, when I was eleven years
old, I did it wrong too).  I realize that this is a big business.  I also
realize that it is the way in which many people world-wide make a living.

What's wrong with believing that all living things deserve to be treated
with respect?

Dr. G. Kadar
(made sure my fire extinguisher is to hand)