Re: Sexing regani

Susanne and Cory Williamson wrote:

> Do regani males (with pointed anal fin tips) also get a bright yellow throat
> and belly- (herein lies my id problem).

Yes, they do, and to throw a monkey wrench into things so does the very similar
looking A. sp. Gelbwangen/Yellow-cheek. Maybe you have two different species,
unless they're domestically bred & from the same clutch. I wish everyone was
color blind when it comes to IDing apistos. Usually, only the pattern of dark
markings are of any importance in species ID. Color come in only when determining
different populations (color variants).

> I read in the one of the Apisto books that some of the regani ecotypes have
> rounded anal fins. I have one pale colored regani with a very rounded anal fin.
> The other three fish have
> pointed anal fins like the picture on my website- however, the point does
> not extend out as in the photo of the young regani on http:/www.thekrib.com.
> The points on my fish are blocky do not extend towards the tail past
> vertical.

I couldn't check your drawings (I use Netscape & it wouldn't come up for me), but
I checked all my books, both English & German, and couldn't find this. I probably
just over looked it. Maybe what I should have said was, given a group of fish,
all of the same species & size (age), those with more pointed tips on the soft
dorsal and anal fins are most likely males. Given time, your males will develop
more extended dorsal & anal fin tips. The photos in Linke & Staeck show the
differences in the sexes quite well. These photos are of young, but mature, fish.

> Mike, Below you said the males have 'more' pointed anal fins- do the females
> also have pointed

Yes, when they get very large (old), otherwise the are blunt, not necessarily
round.

Hope this makes a bit more sense.

Mike Wise