Re: A. cacatoides spawning

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Are you familiar with the details of bristlenose pleos, their diet and
> breeding habits?  They will be really, really interested in the breeding ave
> once they realize there are eggs in there.
>
> Plecos are cave breeders also, but it is my understanding that they are
> extremely territorial and will require a very large tank for successful indoor
> reprodution.  On fish farms, they are placed in a mud-lined pond and allowed
> to dig their own lairs.  After a given period of time, the pond is drained and
> the fish are netted, with caves being "explored" by gloved hands.
>
> Bob Dixon

  I bought these fish (plecos) from a local breeder who breeds them in
thirty gal tanks (I believe he said he had seven in one tank).  Right
now, the largest one is only about two inches long, and they show no
interest in spawning for the time being.  So I am not worried about them
yet.  Incidentally, the breeder I bought them from uses upturned flower
pots.

  The A. cacatoides fry are now at the wriggler stage, I assume because
the female stays in the cave unless food is offered and the eggs are
gone.  I am hoping for some fry in the next couple of days!

Wish me luck raising them!

Thanks

Jason Miller
Sherwood Park, AB