Re: A. cacatoides spawning

In a message dated 1/26/99 6:06:09 PM Mountain Standard Time,
ruddigar@home.com writes:

>   In this tank, there are only six bristlenose plecos with the A.
>  cacatoides (triple red by the way).  They have never had any interest in
>  the cave in which the apistos spawned and don't see any problem with
>  them so far.
>    I don't want to disturb the tank too much, but was thinking about
>  moving one or two plecos in with another (in a twenty gal) and maybe try
>  breeding them, but I think I'll wait until my apistos are free swimming.

Jason,

Are you familiar with the details of bristlenose pleos, their diet and
breeding habits?  They will be really, really interested in the breeding ave
once they realize there are eggs in there.

Plecos are cave breeders also, but it is my understanding that they are
extremely territorial and will require a very large tank for successful indoor
reprodution.  On fish farms, they are placed in a mud-lined pond and allowed
to dig their own lairs.  After a given period of time, the pond is drained and
the fish are netted, with caves being "explored" by gloved hands.

Bob Dixon