Re: ph, gravel, and filters

In a message dated 1/28/99 11:52:48 AM Mountain Standard Time,
pm_evans@yahoo.com writes:

> Lastly, the last test
>  I did with the epoxy coated gravel was in a
>  porcilin dish and the ph rose from around 6.0 to
>  7.2 in 24 hours.

The most likely cause I can think of for this rise is that the distilled water
has a very high level of CO2.  Because the water was distilled the resultant
carbonic acid pushed the pH down easily.  Then the CO2 dissipated, and the pH
rose aordingly.  I'm not a chemist, so this is just a guess.

Bob Dixon