Re: ph, gravel, and filters

Actually the distilled water should have VERY little CO2.  The problem was
more that likely from the distilled water having no hardness( KH or GH).  It
would take very little time for the CO2 and waste from the fish to trigger
the acid fall.  I had something similar to this happen with my Discus tank.
If the fish are looking stressed try adding tiny amounts of Reef Builder.

BRAD