Re: Aggie "Alenquer"

---IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:
Maybe not.  Apistos are notorious for their slow maturation.  I think
it is
> beause they only spawn in the wild during the rainy season.
 It has been my experience that Apisto's are fast growers and they
have a very short life span. With A.borellii i go through 3
generations in a year! T.candidi are spawning at 6 months at least. It
is my understanding that many do not survive in the wild very long,
and they tend to an almost annual status. Perhaps it is the warmer
weather here in florida but of all the dwarfs i've raised through many
generations i've generaly found them to be quick growers. What species
in particuler have you had grow slow? what age to sexual maturity? I
would be interested to compare notes. I know there are many variables
to consider. what are the others in the groups experiences? By the way
i dont pull the eggs on any of my breeders i allow mom to raise them
for a month in 5 1/2 gallon tanks with water sprite and java moss.
this allows mother time to recoperate and feed and build up an egg
supply. avg life span is about two years for most of my dwarfs,
probabaly due to so much breeding i'm sure.
What do you others think?

Dave

---IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> Steve writes:
>
> > I only had room to
> >  grow out about twenty fry which are all aout 7 months old now .
To me
> >  they all look like females.I should be able to tell now ....right?
>
> Maybe not.  Apistos are notorious for their slow maturation.  I
think it is
> beause they only spawn in the wild during the rainy season.
Acquiring full
> "male" coloration early makes them easier for wading birds and
others to spot.
> This is also an explanation for "sleeper" males that don't become
mature males
> until the dominant male in the immediate area gets eaten or killed
by other
> natural causes.   So a fish that takes nine or ten months to mature
has a
> better chance of survival into the spawning season than a fish with
a quicker
> maturation.
>
> Bob Dixon.

Archives"!