Re:Slow growers (was: Aggie "Alenquer")

Dave writes:

 What species
>  in particuler have you had grow slow? what age to sexual maturity?

So far all of the ones I've raised.  A. bitaeniata, cacatuoides, aggie "orange
tail", borelli,and steindachnari.  Average is nine months to maturity, as fast
as seven and a half, and as late as eleven.

>  would be interested to compare notes. I know there are many variables
>  to consider. what are the others in the groups experiences? By the way
>  i dont pull the eggs on any of my breeders i allow mom to raise them
>  for a month in 5 1/2 gallon tanks with water sprite and java moss.

In the wild, they would never have that much time with one spawn.  The fry
would naturally dissipate into the surrownding areas and become separated from
the brood.

>  this allows mother time to recoperate and feed and build up an egg
>  supply.

IMHO, the egg development happens in a matter of days, and is triggered by
proper spawning conditions.

> avg life span is about two years for most of my dwarfs,
>  probabaly due to so much breeding i'm sure.

Not likely.  More likely just because that is the average of how long they are
good for in aquariums.  That is the Average, folks, I'm not sayying you
haven't had pairs that spawned for four years, because I have, too.  But two
years is about how long they usually make it.

Bob Dixon